Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Saturday, January 29, 2011

More Weird Stuff

So, within the first hour of waking up, I saw some strange things.  So I went to a quaint little restaurant near the mosque.  It is smaller than a dorm room and not much nicer.  the walls are merely woven bamboo, and have a few pictures of islamic figures.  its my favorite restaurant.  you can get an egg sandwich with tomato, onion, mayo (no cheese or bacon), and a cup of coffee for only 450 cfa (thats 90 cents).  so I sit down, and without saying anything the restaurant owner (Maimona) brings me my sandwich and coffee (I didn't really want coffee today cause I found a peach drink and the foreign people store, made with real peaches, and has small pieces of peach in it, I really miss peaches. It was also in a refrigerator which made it so much better) and so I am sitting down, waiting and I notice by the door Maimona's son (who also works there he looks like he is 12) is hanging a strip of meat on a nail in the doorway.  I think to myself "oh! thats a little strange I wonder what he is going to do..." so he grabs a knife, and begins to cu the meat into small pieces, and puts them all in a bowl.  I just can't help but wonder, "why doesn't he use a cutting board?" it just doesn't make sense.  my sandwich was delicious btw.

So, the second weird thing that happened to me today within one hour of waking up was that as I walked away from the restaurant, I was walking behind some lady with her baby strapped to her back by way of a sheet (which is very common, but probably wouldn't fly too well in the states)  and the baby is like half out of the sheet crying, and so what does the mother do? she thinks to herself "what is it that my baby could possibly want at this moment, what can I do to make my child stop crying in an appropriate and healthy way?"this woman looks on the ground and sees a flattened plastic bottle she picks it up dumps the sand out of it, and hands it to the baby to play with. "WHAT!?" I thought to myself. in the end, the baby did stop crying, although I do not expect it to stay very healthy.

Speaking of babies, Shout-out to my new baby cousin Eliana.  your gunna do great kid!  just stay away from garbage.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment