Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Being a Man

So,  There are times in a mans life that makes him a man.  It is different depending on the culture you are in.  I have become a man in many cultures.  As a jew I had my bar mitzvah, as an american I turned 18 and voted, when I was in china, I climbed the great wall (Chairman Mao says that you are not a true man until you have climbed the wall).  But the most gruesome and toughest thing I have ever had to do to become a man, was slaughter a chicken.

So, once a week, because I enjoy eating chicken I give my host mother 2500-3000 CFA (5-6 USD) Usually by the time I get home from my tough strenuous job (note sarcasm) the chicken is already slaughtered and stewing with some vegetables.  today however this was not the case.  I get back from work and during lunch my host mom says that she has bought a big chicken (and it was a big chicken compared to what I normally see here.)  I say "oh good, I can't wait to eat some chicken tonight!" then she looks at me and says, "you will slaughter the chicken".  I look at her and lean in and say "but i have never done that before". Then she said "you will slaughter the chicken".  I say ok and get very excited and even call my dad and friends to let them know, and to see if there is a certain prayer that I should say.  apparently there isn't a prayer to say before slaughtering an animal.  So of course I want to get pictures of all of this, so I try to explain how to use a camera to our house maid.  she is 16 and from the village and may have never held a camera before.  I show her how to use the zoom, and how to take a picture.  for some reason, she could not figure it out. ( it is an easy point and click digital camera too...)  she practiced by trying to take a picture of my head.  for some reason she was not able to get my head centered in the photograph.  something was always cut off.  eventually I got antsy and just forgot about it, and gave her the camera to take pictures.  then there was the chicken.  I took out my tactical knife, and sharpened it.  then I grabbed the chicken.  I asked for some instruction mostly to reassure me that what I was doing was right.  and I proceeded to cut the throat but then my host mom quickly stopped me, and told me to go do it outside.  she was right.  and so I took it outside grabbed the head in one hand, and stepped on its feet, and with one clean stroke I slit the throat.  I look up at Aisatu the maid and say "it is dead, I have slaughtered the chicken!"  she looks at me and says "you have not slaughtered the chicken".    I look back down at my feet, and of course to my surprise, there is the chicken still alive, and now it is bleeding all over me.  I give out a little shout and the chicken starts to flop a little bit.  I grab it again and slice it again, and look up all happy and say "Now I have killed the chicken!" Aisatu looks at me and then back at the chicken and says "no, you have not slaughtered the chicken"  thats when I freak out.  and I grab the chicken and really slice its head off.  then I look at Aisatu and she looks up at me and says "there, now you have killed a chicken.  you are a man".  Now that I have killed a chicken, I believe that I can kill bigger things, like rabbits and goats, but I think that I will need to practice on a few more chickens before I get to a goat.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment