Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Monday, February 14, 2011

Superbowl!

So, recently it was one of Americas greatest holidays, The Superbowl.  This years Superbowl was especially great because the Pittsburgh Steelers would be playing in it.  Yes, I do believe that the Superbowl is greater than just a sporting event, it is the sporting event, and has become such an important day to Americans that I consider it a holiday.  When I become emperor of the world, I plan on making sure that there is no school or work on the monday after the Superbowl, so that everyone can have the appropriate amount of rest one needs after celebrating the Superbowl.  I decided that the best way for me to celebrate such an extravagant holiday would be to celebrate with the other americans in my region.  So, I arrive to Kolda and when I enter the PC compound the guard looks at me and says "Demba welani"  (David is not well)  I was not sure I heard him correctly and so I responded "Demba welani?" the guard says yes, and I merely think it strange and enter the house.  upon entering I quickly find out that my good friend David had fallen off the roof and was in the hospital, in africa, in the middle of nowhere.  This made me very worried, for two reasons.  the first was any permanent damage to my friend and the second was of course the holiday being ruined, after all we are talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Superbowl.  Amazingly an hour later he was back in the house, walking, and swearing just like normal.  it was absolutely unbelievable that he was not seriously injured.  he screwed up his knee, but will be fine.  The next day was a saturday, and I just kinda hung out with people.
Isn't it a beautiful pig?
 Then there was the Superbowl.  oh what an excellent day it was!  For breakfast I made a delicious salami and egg sandwich (thank you for the salami mom) and when I thought it couldnt get any better, someone had been able to get a copy of the greatest movie ever created, yes thats right, Kung Fu Panda. We watched that all morning.  after the movie it was time to get serious about the holiday, the day before, a few people went out and bought a pig, and we took that pig and Geoff and I slow roasted it in a pit.  After many hours, the pig was finally complete.  I then went on to fry 6 lbs of potatoes.  Dinner was a delicious feast.  Pulled bbq pork (Geoff and I had Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce we donated to the meal, again thankyou mom) there were beers, frenchfries, sweetpotato fries, mac n cheese, beans, and all sorts of good ole fashioned American stuff.  Then the main event.  for me it started late at 11:30, but it was worth it.  The game did not turn out how I had expected it too, but I had a good time anyways.  One of the best parts was during the halftime show, we switched channels and got to watch the puppy bowl!  I was going to be so upset that I missed the puppy bowl, but miraculously we were able to watch it.  the puppies were adorable. (for those of you that do not know what the puppy bowl is, I highly encourage you to watch it).  This was my best Superbowl ever.

When I got back home, I finally finished reading Atlas Shrugged.  yes I actually read the whole thing.  there were some points in time that I thought about quitting, but i made it all the way through.  it was the longest book I have ever read.  It was pretty entertaining.  sometimes Ayn Rand had these ridiculous rants about capitalism, and they got kind of boring, but I trudged on through.  It was a much dirtier book than I had thought it was going to be.  There is a surprising amount of sex for a book written in the 50's.  at least, I was surprised.  I am very pleased with myself to have finished it.  It was a big book, and now I get to read other books that are not quite so hard to get through.  So far I have read 8 books.  I think that I can get to 80 by the end of my service.  I am going to start recording all the books I read.

My site mate has been sick the last few days. and I have been checking up on her.  I hope she gets better soon.  She cooked a delicious omelet the other day for breakfast for us.  It was really good.  She is a lot of fun to hang with, but she needs to stop coming into my room whenever she feels like it.  One of these days she is going to catch me naked, and it is going to be very uncomfortable.  She almost did today, as I was getting ready to shower.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment