Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

And Then There Was Spain. Pt 1

So, I don't have time to write the whole story right now so here is part one of "And Then There Was Spain"

So, then I went to Spain.  This allowed me to help complete the third goal (I think its the third goal) of the Peace Corps Mission, which is "Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans."  My mother is the orchestra director for my old high school.  my brother is now also in that orchestra.  The orchestra was going to Spain on tour, and my mom told me that if I could find a ticket to spain for under 500$ She would take me along.  so I did it, and went to spain.  I rode on Royal Air Maroc. it was an ok airline.  if you have the option of chicken or beef, you should go for the beef.  I chose poorly.  the breakfasts on Royal Air Maroc, are lacking flavor, and the bread they serve it with is hard and crusty and tastes old.  Beside all of that my flights were great.  I had a Layover in Casablanca.  we got to walk on the Tarmac, which was cool, cause I got to be like  "Rick" from the movie Casablanca.  Then I got to madrid.  Madrid is a beautiful city.   When I stepped off the plane I immediately went to customer service, and asked "Hables Ingles?"  The lady behind the counter said something crazy in spanish about how she could speak english, but then I didn't understand the rest of what she said, so I asked her again.  her response was that she spoke english but she could speak to me in spanish if i wanted to practice.  I then smacked her in the face,  and yelled at her about  how dare she assume that I want to practice a different language, I'm on my goddamn vacation.  I want to speak as much english as possible!... At least that is what I thought about in my head.  in reality I just took a deep breath and asked her were to find a sim card and a big mac.  to my joy, they were right next to each other!  so I bought a new sim card, and sat down for the the best hamburger i've had in 9 months.  I had a few hours before I could meet up with my mom and the kids, so I decided to put on my winter clothes and my winter hat and walk around Madrid with my backpack for a few hours.  Looking back, I don't think that it was an especially good idea for me to have been alone those first few hours in the western world.  Everything thing since getting into that first airplane in Dakar, had been slightly overwhelming, and then I thrust myself into an even more overwhelming experience all alone.  I grabbed a map, and quickly figured out the metro system.  I put myself right into the center of the city Plaza Mayor.  I walked around and ate food for about 3 hours.  I found an all you can eat buffet that served beers.  I stayed there until I could not longer eat.  then I found a place with ice-cream, but not just any ice-cream! yes you guessed it, Magnum Bars.  I ate one even though i was freezing cold.  I should mention that normally 50-60 degree weather does not even phase me.  However going from pulling a donkey 50 miles in 120 degree weather for a week, and then going to a climate that has a high of 55 is going to make me very cold.  I met my mom outside of the Bullring.  the Bullring in Madrid is beautiful.  really all the architecture in spain is beautiful.  Spain is a beautiful place.  
So, then I was part of the group.  That was where I met the nicest lady in the world.  Elena was our tour-guide, and she was the best tour-guide I have ever had.  she knew everything, and could speak english really well, and always kept her cool about everything.  she's a really cool lady.  a few times, when the kids were set free to wander we would go have a drink and have tapas.  I was able to hang with the group and my mommy and brother in all the museums we went to, and just had a great time.  meal time in spain was very difficult for me.  I would get upset at everyone around me for various reason, but I think I kept my cool.  when I was sitting with he chaperones, all I wanted to do was eat delicious foods.  the chaperones however kept asking me question after question.  all I wanted to do was keep pouring food down my throat.  When I ate with the kids I would get upset when they didn't eat.  one kid wouldn't eat creme brulee because it looked weird.  what an idiot.  I argued that it was just sugar and flour, and he still would not eat it.  he said all he wanted to do was eat candy... well like whats the difference!!?!?  then the kids were all complaining about how all they have been eating was Paella...they only had it 2 nights in a row! I have been eating basically the same 3 or 4 dishes for the last 8 months, and I have yet to complain about it.  these kids complain about having the same delicious food in an exotic country two nights in a row and they complain?  I know that they all go to chipotle everyday, and im sure they don't complain about that! anyways...the food was awesome.  the second night I was there was probably the best meal.  there were like all sorts of courses, and then the main course was a half a chicken! that was sweet.  and for dessert there was cake.  all kinds of cake! (I took pictures)  I was smart to be eating with the chaperones that night because a tray of cake was brought to all the tables with all sorts of cakes and whipped cream.  the chaperones, acted like normal adults wanting only little tastes of a few cakes to watch their weight.  I however went to town and put some serious cake to the face.  as we were leaving I noticed out of the corner of my eye a half eaten piece of cheesecake a kid had left behind.  this cheese cake was no ordinary cheese cake however.  this piece of cake had BLUEBERRIES. real, never frozen or dried blueberries!!!.  I couldn't believe it.  I had not eaten a berry since august, and not there was a cake with berries on it in front of me. I freak out and ask out loud to the crowd " Do you see that this cake has real blueberries on it!? who would do this!? do you see the berries!?" I then lunge for the delicious half eaten pice of cake, but then my mom slaps my hand and looks me in the eye and says "Michael you are out of control"...I never did get to eat that piece of cake...But then the next day we got to ride on high speed rail to the wonderful city of Barcelona!!!  If you know anything about me, then you know I am a huge advocate for high speed rail in the united states.  riding high speed rail in europe was just as I imagined.  sleek, smooth, speedy!  I just hope that the kids will take their new knowledge of how amazing trains are back home with them to the states.  they should e-mail their senator about how high-speed rail is important for the economy and environment of Ohio.   The spanish countryside was magical.  I think I even saw a castle!  on the ride I got to read an amusing book my friend sent me, and watch a spanish soap opera.  Then I lost my luggage.  Part 2 coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment