Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Formation that Almost Didn't Happen.

So,  (a formation is the same as a workshop but french)  I was supposed to have this formation yesterday and today about composting and soil preparation.  I have been having soo much trouble with the womens group Sahelia (See blog Post "It's Hot" from May 12).  Yesterday was supposed to be the beginning of the Formation...that didn't happen.  So the story goes, A really good gardener form Kolda (Seck) came up here to do a formation with me (his wolof and pulaar is much better than mine and can explain things that I just can't)  He arrives on time and I meet him and I show him to my house where he will be staying.  we then go to the garden we will be working at and then to the house of the president of Sahelia.  she is very excited and claims to have everything prepared...then I ask her what she has prepared.  her answer was nothing.  so the three of us go looking for manure and other items.  then I made sure to remind her that we would be starting at four O'clock.  she agreed.  Seck and I had a delicious lunch at a very nice restaurant in town and we napped.  at a bit before 4:00 we went to the garden and waited.  after about 15 minutes the pres showed up.  after another 15 minutes a few more people showed up.  by 5:00 there were 4 people ready for the formation.  we discussed what the hell is going on.  I was very disappointed.  then we decided to do both parts the next day.  some in the morning and some in the evening.  which shouldn't be a problem.  a few minutes later we realized that there was a problem.  beautiful Pam my site mate has a formation of her own the next afternoon.  We then decided to do it all at once in the morning.  not my favorite plan but getting out of the way first thing in the morning is fine with me.  We all agreed that 8:00 would be the time that we begin.  We also agreed that if no one showed up after 1 hour Seck would go back to Kolda.

So, the next morning we arrive on time.  we wait 15 minutes and then the pres shows up.  after an hour 4 people are there...again, also she didn't bring any manure or ash or anything else that she was supposed to bring.  I tell her that we will not wait any longer and we are leaving.  We both have other work to do (Kinda, I mostly just don't want to be sitting there, and I suppose I could be writing a radio show).  She runs off to who knows where and suddenly after 15 minutes a few ladies show up ready to work.  at 10:00 everyone shows up, and all the materials are there and we make compost piles and amend the soil and have a great time.  We ate lunch, took some pictures, and everyone left smiling, even me.

Now word is getting around amongst the ladies of Velingara.  already I have heard complaints from the other womens group about how I would not let them have a formation even though that is completely ridiculous.  I gave them an extra 7 days to give me the money even (See blog Post "It's Hot" from May 12).  Apparently they told pam (at her formation this afternoon) that they are upset with me and that I "did not agree" with them about having a formation.  I really don't care.  I am not going to worry about this.  I am going to focus on my Demo garden, my master farm, and the radio shows.


-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment