Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Bad Morning.

So,  I am making a really big change.  Some people may not take this change of mine seriously but it is still huge for me.  I am making the switch from Tevas to Chacos (sandal brands)  I have always been loyal to Tevas, but I don't think that they can handle the rainy season here.  I had ordered some Chacos Onine earlier in the week, and I have been very excited to get them.  Yesterday I woke up from a nightmare at about 5:00am. I had bought womens flipflops, and there was nothing I could do because I am in Africa, and I had to live with wearing womens flipflops for the rest of my service here.  It was really awful.

Then the worst thing happened.  As many of you know I love cats.  not as much as trees, but still I love cats.  At my house in America my family 4 cats.  After the terrible nightmare I went outside to water the garden and eat some frozen yogurt for breakfast.  I heard this weird noise coming from a corner of the compound, so I went to check it out.  to my surprise it was a little baby kitten maybe a week or 2 old.  somehow it had gotten separated from its mother and ended up in the compound.

All I could think of was "OH NO! my puppy (it weighs roughy 30 lbs now) is going to destroy that baby kitten I need to save it"  so I went and tied up the dog, and went to rescue the kitten.  I figured that I could probably bring it to Tampa and give it away to someone there.  I went over and reached for the kitten, but the kitten decided to make a run for it.  The puppy saw the kitten scampering away and with a mighty force snapped the rope it was tied up with.  I immediately grab a stick to beat the dog that almost is eating a kitten that is running away.  we all stop at the douche (the douche is a french word for hole in the ground that you poop in) and we stare each other down.  The pup looks at me with the stick and the kitten, the kitten is looking at the douche, me and the pup, I am looking at the kitten, the douche, and the pup.  no one makes a move.  then suddenly the kitten thinks the douche is a good idea.  I freak out cause the dog moves in.  the kitten is able to back out and I am still scaring the dog enough for it not to attack.  Then I decide that the best action for me to take is to go for the dog, and tie him up again (with better rope) and find the kitten after and save it.

I make a move for the pup.  The kitten thinks I am going for it.  The kitten makes a final leap into the douche never to be heard from again.  not a sound escaped that disgusting hole of feces and cockroaches.  not a splash or a mew.  it was just gone...worst day of my life man.

After that fiasco, I travelled up to Manda to see my master farmer and ended up walking around his barren field in the hot sun measuring out plots for beans and stuff.  It was really hot. For some reason we had to measure it all out using triangles.  that was annoying.


-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment