Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Day I Almost Caused Rebellion

So, this whole master farmer thing has been continuously complicated.  issues of distance from me, distance from a water source, and lack of funding have caused me trouble.

The other day I received an e-mail from my boss responding to an e-mail I sent him with my concerns about the master farm.  So me and a peace corps employee went out to assess the problems.  We learned that to dig a well and especially at this time of year would be very difficult to impossible because of the depth and the rains. to get water to the farm we would need to create a new water line to the farm about a km long, which would be fine.  but then we realized that the water line connector was across the main road.  this road is the only road that connects to the rest of the country.  every truck of food and supplies to the casamance region has to pass through that point.  In America this would not be a problem you cut up a road, and there are other roads for a detour.  the road can be repaired in a day or two and things can continue normally.  If I was to cut up the road for this one farmer it would halt all the traffic to the casamance region where over 200,000 people live.  this would create mass starvation, the rebels to the west would create riots, and more than likely the south of the country would go up in flames and secede from the country.  I decided not to let that happen, and instead we will build a well sometime in april when it is dry.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment