Michael Goldman
BP 157
Velingara, Senegal, West Africa

Monday, December 13, 2010

Another Trip To Dakar

So, I went back to Dakar.  This time it was more for work than pleasure.  Even though, Dakar is a fun place, this trip was not the best time.  I left Thies early in the morning with the rest of the Urban Ags to check out the hospital gardens in Dakar a project that I am very excited to implement in Velingara.  On the way to the Hospital, we come across a man laying in the middle of the highway in front of a car with a large dent in it, with blood coming out of his ears, still breathing.  I wanted to jump out and help the man, but I did not have a Duty to act, the scene was not safe, and I was in a bus with 30 other people.  it was pretty tragic, and I do not think that he made it much longer.  In Dakar, the gardens were beautiful. and I learned a great deal about how to run a garden, and pest control.  After the gardens most of us ended up at the American club to eat some bacon, drink beers, eat ice cream, and swim, in the warm december weather (this is the first time I have ever been able to say that).  During the time spent at the club, there was an art expo being done by the small enterprise development volunteers (SED) with some very cool african artwork and souvenirs.  I bought a nice looking tie-dye shirt, and thought that I would call it a day in regards to buying things.  but then out of the corner of my eye I see them.  swords and knives in beautiful sheaths of colored leather hanging from one of the trees.  I asked him the price for a sword he said 30,000.  I laughed and walked away straight to my bag to get money.  once at my bag, I realized that I did not have much money and so borrowed some.  I got 15,000.  so I go back up to the fellow, and tell him I have 10,000.  he tells me 20,000.  I eventually get it down to 15,000.  so now I have an authentic original african sword.  it is not very sharp like all of the other knives in africa but I plan on sharpening it asap.  so, because I now have a bank card, I figure that things will be much easier withdrawing money.  there wont be lines, and they wont background check me for terrorism (see posts "Training", and "Day at the Bank") I go to the bank with two friends.  Michelle uses her card and takes out money, then I use my card, check my balance (it showed I have lots of money) and then proceeded to withdraw money.  It didn't work.  I tried with smaller amounts, and it still did not work.  my friend Joey then tries his card, and he is able to take out money.  I tried mine again, and it didnt work.  so now I am in dakar, already in the hole 15,000 and my bank card will not work.  So I try to call pam, because she got her card the same time as me, and I then realize that my phone is out of credit.  so now I am in Dakar, without money, and no phone credit.  oh happy day! (please note sarcasm)  I eventually had to borrow more money for dinner and drinks, and had a fairly pleasent evening I just had some depressing thoughts of a dead guy, and my bank not working, and my phone not having credit and how now I have to go back to the bank and figure things out again with a translator because I still don't know french or Wolof.  I went to sleep at the Dakar house in my tent, because there were no more mosquito nets, and slept wonderfully.

The next day was much better.  I woke up, and we played frank sinatra all morning with breakfast.  Then we went back to the club, for icecream and pool time.  after a few hours we went to the country directors house 40 people in total, because we had completed the 5 week challenge (staying out of regional houses/at your site for 5 weeks, although there are some loopholes).  at his house we watched the Lion King, and Grease as we ate fried chicken wings, pizza and drank budweisers.  yes, budweisers. it will most likely be the last time I drink a budweiser or any american beer for 22 more months, and there was ice cream there too.

Now I am back in training, and we are learning about Chickens!!! WOO I got to play with chickens, and build a coop.  it was great.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment